“Remain in a learning stance and be aware of your bias” Denise Watts
Welcome back to another episode of the #squarepizzapod – a podcast about making the good things about school – even better.
Today’s episode is from our interview with Denise Watts. Denise has been a teacher, Principal, and also an Executive Director of Project LIFT, a $55M school turnaround initiative. She now works at the University of Virginia Darden/Curry Partnership for Leaders in Education where she advises school districts across the country.
In this episode, we covered:
– Why she’s on TikTok
– Growing up in rural North Carolina
– Her advice to educators on how to navigate COVID
– Lessons learned from leading Project LIFT – a $55M school turnaround initiative in Charlotte, NC
– Advice she’d give to others leading change across the country
– How race and gender have played a factor in her career
Also – this is the first episode we recorded on Zoom and you can check out the video at our Youtube page – @SchermCo
We hope you’ll give this a listen, leave us your thoughts, and share it with a friend.