Associate Director, Family Empowerment – SchermCo

We’ve built this FAQ sheet about this position to provide as much clarity as possible about the position, our work, and our organization. Please review this information carefully before applying for this role. Reach out to us with any questions. Direct questions to Lori Schermbeck, Director of Operations:

How much will I be paid?

    • The base salary is between $45,000 and $60,000 for this position.
    • We offer individual and team bonuses based on performance goals.
    • Year-end bonuses usually range from 5-15% of a team member’s salary.
    • We’d love to give out higher bonuses for team members that go above and

What are we good at?

  • School partners and clients often use the following words or phrases when describing us:
    • Professional
    • Flexible
    • Humorous
    • Accountable
    • Communicative
  • We’ve been operating our Family Empowerment work for five years now. We are good at building capacity with our school partners, helping them implement critical aspects of the family empowerment model, and being good partners.
    • We like managing projects well – on time and under budget.

Where are we working to improve?

  • Lots! We know there’s always an opportunity to get better.
  •  As it comes to the Family Empowerment work – we’re working on the following:
    • Communication systems with our school partners: We like to over-communicate, but we also know our school partners are busy. We are always considering the best practices and tools to implement our model and best support our school partners.
    • Data and evaluation – We have strong results from this work, but we aspire tocollect deeper levels of data. This likely includes data-sharing agreements withour school partners/districts, additional evaluation support, and more capacity to go deeper.
    • The Model – We are always considering ways to tweak and differentiate our model to best meet the needs of our school partners and their families.

What does a day look like in the life of a Director of Family Empowerment at SchermCo?

  • Good question – we wrote a full blog post just for you – click here.
  • Of course, the day-to-day changes are based on the time of year and where we are in the model. In a given week, you’d likely spend 40% of your time at schools (in-person orvirtual) or meeting with our school partners to review data and discuss upcoming family empowerment opportunities and other related responsibilities. The remaining 60% of the time will be spent working at our office (a cool coworking spot) knocking out additional tasks and responsibilities related to this work.

Why should you not work with our team?

  • You shouldn’t join our team if you simply want a job.
  • Yes, it is a job, and we believe in boundaries, but we also believe in working hard and doing whatever it takes to hit our goals and best serve our school partners.
  • You shouldn’t join our team if you aren’t willing to help other teammates.
  • We have defined roles and responsibilities for each person and department within our organization – but sometimes, we all need help. We appreciate teammates that don’t mind helping other teammates.
  • You shouldn’t join our team if you don’t like to work independently and creatively.
  • We like to help each other (see above), but our best teammates are the ones that can get things done on their own and bring creativity to their work. We like to hire smart, kind people and let them make it happen.
  • You shouldn’t join our team if you are only willing to work 39.5 hours.
  • Some weeks are light. Others are not. We do everything we can to help our teammates be happy and healthy. We also know building a high-performing organization sometimes requires commitments above 40 hours.

Why should you join our team?

  • You get fired up at the thought of leading and building a family empowerment movement across North Carolina.
  • You like setting and exceeding goals.
  • You want to hustle and develop additional business for the organization.
  • You understand that more money comes from more and better work.

What else should you know about us?

  • We like sports, sports metaphors, and competition.
  • We believe deeply in equity and anti-racism.
  • We REALLY like to over-communicate to ensure everyone has clarity and is on the same page.
  • We like to have fun and work on important challenges every day.
  • We value teammates that are kind, genuine and challenge us all to get better.
  • We value clear, quantitative results in previous professional positions.